Monday, March 7, 2011

Workshop

I have a detached garage that had siding installed over the studs, but no tar paper inside to prevent dirt from blowing in. After having to sweep up dirt several days in a row, I decided I was going to need to finish the walls if I didn't want the project covered in dirt by the time I was done.  I didn't want to pull the siding to install the tar paper from the outside, so I cut it in sheets and stapled it inside the space between the studs.  I installed fiberglass insulation between the studs before following it up with a layer of plastic to keep it protected. 

Before the sheetrock went up, I installed a couple additional power outlets along the walls.  I also added a retractable extension cord to the ceiling power outlet.  This makes it easy to get power when I need it, wherever I am in the workshop.

I cut a hole in the back wall and installed a small AC unit that I picked up at Sears.  The unit I got was way too small for the size of room it needs to cool - I'm hoping that with all the insulation installed, it will at least be tolerable in the summer. The sheetrock was then put up.

The garage was pretty dim inside when I started.  The sheetrock really helped to brighten up the interior, expecially after I painted it a glossy white.  I also painted the floor with a light shade of gray epoxy to maximize the light.  The single incandescent bulb in the middle of the room was replaced with a circular flourescent bulb and augmented with four flourescent shop lights.

I also noticed that dirt was also drifting in from the roof vent, as well as chips from the waferboard roof panels.  After having to manhandle the heavy sheetrock around to get it installed on the walls, I didn't want to have to install sheetrook on the ceiling as well.  Idecided that foil backed styrofoam panels would work fine to cover the ceiling.  I only got a few installed before I got distracted and the work stalled.

I did get the bench built - it's a monster at 4 feet by 12 feet.  It was a little wobbly at first, but after I closed the bottom of the bench top to make it a box, it was rock steady.  I have no idea how I'm going to move it when I need to - it weighs a ton. 

After I decided to start building again, it took me several weeks to get the garage cleaned up enough to start work. All sorts of tools and hardware were scattered all over the place, and there was way too much unneeded junk.  After making a few trips to Goodwill and moving some stuff up to the attic, I finally had enough room to work.  I still have to figure out where to put all he playwood panels that I made to cover the windows for Hurricane Ike.

I built a rolling cloth cabinet since I didn't have much in the way of wall space.  I probably made it too big as well, but I wanted to maximize the surface for cutting.  After having it roll away from me when I tried to drop the door, I replaced two of the free rolling casters with locking ones.  It stays put when I want it to now.

I added more styrofoam panels to the ceiling until I got most of it covered.  I had to leave some holes for my ladder and a few other things, but it should still help quite a bit to keep the room cool.  I taped aluminized bubble wrap the the garage door panels to help as well.

No comments: