Saturday, June 18, 2011

Seatback continued

Today I did all the angled cutouts on the seatback, rounded the sides, and cut the flox corners. I used the CAD files rather than the plans to mark the cutouts.  I used a Shureform tool to cut the bottom angle, and a hacksaw, Dremel, utility knife and Dremel Multi-Max oscillating tool for the cutouts and flox corners.  After reading a few other builder websites, it looks like cutting the bottom angle wasn't so easy for a lot of folks, but I was able to adjust as I went along with the Shureform, so it was pretty quick and simple. I also chiseled out the areas that had gotten epoxy in them when I was laying up the front side. I'll put some dry micro in there when I'm ready to glass it.





The cutting went fairly easy - I used the Multi-Max to cut through the fiberglass, and then the hacksaw to finish cutting through the foam. I started cutting the flow corners with the utility knife.  I used the hacksaw to sepatae the foam from the glass, but that was getting tedious, so I switched to the Dremel. It cut okay, but was actually melting the PVC foam into a hard plastic that I couldn't tell from the fiberglass underneath. I finally switched to the Multi Max and ran it sideways down the cutout and that cleared it out fairly quickly.




No comments: