Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Panel Glueup

After finishing the seatback, I moved on to gluing up the F-22 and Instrument Panel (IP).  I figured this would be a cinch.  How hard could gluing up pre-cut foam panels with 5 minute epoxy be?
I noticed right off that my cuts hadn't been nearly as straight as I had originally thought. I had a hard time getting the strapping tape to stick to the underside of the foam when using the hinge method. I probably should have pinned the panels down when they started moving around on me as I was trying to tape them up. When one side lined up, the other side would have a gap. I did the F-22 panel first and decided to let it dry overnight before I started in on the IP.  Even with the hinge method, the glue joint looked pretty sloppy to me, with some big gaps. Maybe I'm just being too picky.  Before I started in on the IP,  I spent some quality time sanding some of the edges straighter. It seemed to come out a little better.
DSCF0019DSCF0009DSCF0021


 

No comments: